Kenya’s Department of Immigration has made a variety of changes aim at simplifying the process of how to apply for a Kenyan passport. Whether you are applying a new passport. renewing or replacing a defaced or expired passport, the process is relatively the same.
It was revealed in August last year that applicants for Kenyan Passport would need an appointment to visit processing centers in an attempt to decongest these centers.
We thought we’d direct you guys through the process of applying for a Kenyan passport, or yet still renewing or changing your passport with the new guidelines and paying for it online.
This article will guide you a step by step process on how to apply for a Kenyan passport.
We will also look at the specifications you need to take with you to ease the process as a whole. Applying for a Kenyan passport has never been this easier.
At the end you will need to print out a form. You must sign and date the form, fill in any required documentation or photographs and return it for processing.
Step by step process of applying for a passport
- Sign up and log in at www.ecitizen.go.ke
- Go to immigration.ecitizen.go.ke and/or immigration services department and click on the Passport Application Form.
- Carefully read the instructions then fill out the application form.
- Choose the payment method, and pay the passport fees.
- Download and print the application form, together with three request receipts.
- Submit the application form to Immigration offices in person. ( Nyayo, Mombasa & Kisumu.)
Requirements: During the application process, you will need the following documents
- You MUST appear in person for biometrics and digital photo capture
- An eCitizen pre-filled passport application form together with 3 invoices.
- Three Current passport size photos
- Original birth certificate and photocopy.
- Original National ID Card and photocopy.
- Recommenders ID Card copy.
- Parents National ID cards copies
- Applicants below the age of eighteen years, should provide the parents or legal guardian’s written consent.
- Applicants who are adopted must provide the original adoption certificate or clearance letter from the children’s department, and or the Court ruling .
- The application must be recommended by a person who is not a relative of the applicant.
Kenyan passport application fees
32 Pages Ordinary “A” Series Ksh 4,550
48 pages Ordinary “B” Series Ksh 6,050
64 Pages Ordinary “C” Series Ksh 7,550
East African Passport Ksh 990
Diplomatic passport (48-page) Ksh 7,550
Mutilated Passport Ksh 10,050
Lost Passport Ksh 12,050
You will be paying from local banks using mobile money, credit, debit cards and online banking. It should take at least 10 working days to get your first passport at Immigration Offices after your application has been physically submitted. It should take at least 5 working days to complete all other application forms. It may take longer if more information is required, or your application has not been properly filled out.